Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A River Running Through Me in Vietnam

After a long trainride back to Bangkok, I flew from Thailand to Vietnam where I met up with a fellow tsunami volunteer. Although the NGO I worked for in Thailand turned out to be less than stellar, it did connect me with some fabulous people from the US and UK. Andrea made a splendid travel companion with her uncanny ability to make even mundane events interesting and quite humorous. (Luckily, after finishing at Columbia in NYC, she returned to her hometown of Boston and we get together every so often to reminisce . . . good times.)

Highlights from Vietnam include wandering the streets of Hanoi, dealing with pushy shopkeepers and sometimes violent city residents (I actually watched a man get beaten by a pipe after an argument--I ran into a side shop for shelter. I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time), being entertained by a water puppet show, exploring the city's past by visiting museums and historical sites, eating delicious Vietnam fresh rolls (I've had a serious addiction ever since and visit the Vietnam restaurant in my neighborhood at least once a month . . . I do have to say it was much cheaper in Hanoi and tasted better), and joining a 3 day group tour of Halong Bay.



Joined by throngs of other tourists clamoring onto boats to sail around the bay, visit floating villages, hike an island, and swim in the bay, I hardly expected to enjoy myself as much as I did. Although far from being off the beaten path, our tour group of 12 or so ended up being splendid company. Waking up on the deck of a boat surrounded by floating houses was almost magical. The humidity though--in the heat of summer with temperatures at 100 degrees F, and nearly 99% humidity, my body sweat like it never had before. I drank water and immediately a "river ran through me." In the photo, it may look like I just forged a river, but my wet clothes are simply drenched in sweat. Who knew it was possible to sweat that much? I could hardly keep my eyes open to enjoy the views at the top of the hike. Any water I poured in, came pouring right out. So there you have it--the sweatiest day of my life.

I began the trip to Halong Bay with a wallet--but returned without one. Some lucky person made off with all my forms of monetary exchange. At the mercy of Andrea's and a few other tourist's generosity, I pulled together enough cash to get to the airport, pay the departure tax, and return back to US soil. Otherwise, I could very well still be wandering around Hanoi avoiding street fights and begging for water.

12 comments:

erin said...

Didn't you have a river run through you on a bus in Israel too? :)

WendyG said...

I'm loving seeing your travel log! Susann may go on a volunteer trip to Thailand in November, to teach teachers how to teach English. She'll have to talk to you.

Love you, Aunt Wendy

Olivia said...

Hey, Em, nice blogging! I like your funny stories and your amazing pictures.

Love,
Olivia

Matthew Gardner said...

nice stories about East Asia...but let's hear some good stuff from Peru!

cassie said...

Okay it is good to see that you keep up with your blog about as good as I do. I can't believe how amazing those pictures are though. you get to experience such great things!

Unknown said...

Hey! Where are you now??? Can you send me your address???

Heather said...

Emily, I found you via Molly's blog. How are you? Looks like you are up to some good adventures. You can check me and my crew out at www.empey86.blogspot.com

Heather Miller

Myth Maker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Myth Maker said...

Dear Em..,

I liked your unusual style of presentaion of usual things. it's some thing different. attractive language, haunting travelogue...

Simply great...

Bekah said...

Love you Em, but it's been a year! More! More! Please!

Martha said...

Emily,
Do you get e-mail here? I need your address. Chris is getting married and my mom wants to send you an announcement.

Martha
ysnews@aol.com

Ollie and Floyd said...

Hi Em! Once again, beautiful photos -- little Em travels to Asia. Now that you have finished your degree, will you relinquish the title "Little Em" for "Master Em"? I guess either way I am still the maid. :)