Monday, July 9, 2007

DC to SouthEast Asia and then off the face of the earth . . .

I departed my comfortable, semi-established DC life over 2 years ago. Apparently staying in touch isn't my strong point. No, I wasn't trampled by an elephant or swept away by a tsunami. I eventually did make it to Boston to begin classes and believe it or not I'm now almost Master Emily. (I think it has a ring to it, doesn't it?)

There are so many happenings, travels, and entertaining life events I haven't filled nearly enough of you in on . . . an update letter just didn't seem to do the trick. So I've decided to record it all here where friends and family (and any other random web folks who happen to navigate their way here) can read about the last 2 years of my life at their leisure. (And this gives me a great excuse to take a break from writing my never ending thesis. Don't worry Dad--I'll get it done. Promise.)

Thailand turned out to not only be a fabulous adventure but a pivotal point in orienting me to the field of international education. I learned that I love teaching, I adore kids, I care deeply about educating them and making the learning process interactive and engaging. Finally, I grew some roots in a field of international development that I could sink down into the earth (mainly SouthEast Asia and Africa) and anchor my skill set in a subject I feel passionately about. You can ask friends who come over for dinner--international politics, educating kids, equalizing opportunities--all topics that get me riled up and fiery inside.

I lived with a delightful Thai teacher who treated me like a daughter. After 2 months, I started to feel Thai--Pi Nan had me convinced that there are some facets of Buddhism that all people should believe in, desserts made of coconut milk and exotic Thai fruits in large quantities might make me chubby but they were worth it, and being a teacher in Thailand was the best profession in the world. A kinder person I have never met. Occasionally I have dreams of being back in Thailand trying to hunt down Pi Nan and my Thai students for a "Hokey Pokey" reunion.

6 comments:

Ned C. Gardner said...

emily, wherever you end up teaching/working please, please always make all of your students/clients wear construction paper chicken hats. start an educational revolution. the world--developing and otherwise--needs you. glad you've created a blog to catch us up and keep us informed. mine will likely be less interesting and i am unlikely to write as often, but you can check it out nedgardner.blogspot.com

erin said...

YEAH! I'm so excited! I'm sorry for all the pressure I gave you, but I am so thrilled to be able to keep up with you via your blog! I've have always really enjoyed the way you write, so I'm ecstatic to read on! GO MILLY!

mle said...

EM! I've often wondered what you were up to and I'm so glad that you are blogging now! I'll be able to keep informed. Your adventures sound truly exciting, and you truly have the talent to accomplish your goals!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

Do I have to bow down to you when you are Master Emily? :) In all seriousness CONGRATS on almost being done and having a Masters!!! How amazing are you?! Okay, so you always make me laugh. You have a great way with words...keep up the blogging so I can keep up with you and your fabulous life! :) You can check out my blog anytime you get bored...marcmichelle.blogspot.com

Mark said...

Em, talvez um dia eu vou ter meu proprio blog, mas meu "computer skills" nao sao tao otimos. Mas eu sempre queria seguir seu exemplo, entao, talvez aqui logo eu te seguirei. E sobre Peru, ainda nao sei. Ontem eu vi as passagems para Peru e a passagem mas barato e $1058...um pouco cara, nao e? Mas ainda estou considerando. Foi bom falar contigo ontem. Tchau tchau irmazinha!

Unknown said...

emily! you are just so, so, so amazing. i am so glad that i can read about your adventures. can't wait to read your other posts now...